Why Do Jews Tend to Live Longer Than Members of Other Religious Groups?

In the United States, life expectancy at age 55 (average number of additional years lived beyond 55) for Jews is 27.7. This is two to seven years longer than any other large religious group in the United States. Three possible explanations for this advantage are: favorable socio-demographic composition, better health behaviors, and relatively frequent attendance at religious services.

Most of the life expectancy advantage for Jews can be explained by favorable socio-demographic composition relative to other religious groups. Jews, on average, have higher levels of education and higher levels of wealth than members of other religious groups do. They also are less likely to be current smokers than those in other religions, so health behaviors explain some of the advantage. Conversely, attendance at religious services, a well-known protector against mortality, is unusually low for Jews. Thus, the life expectancy advantage is mostly attributable to education and wealth, somewhat to health behaviors, and not at all due to attendance at religious services.

Allison Sullivan is a doctoral candidate in demography at the University of Pennsylvania.

Category: Q&A

1. Teshia says:

I don’t believe this is researched in depth. The Jewish diet is biblical and definitely has a strict concept and effect on their anatomical well-being. Dairy not being consumed with meat. Kosher food products and daily habitual rules on food consumption and timing are factors that should be deeply considered. Cancer rates compared to foods that are considered cancer fighting and overall Jewish consumption of this food is a nice start, being that there are also less jews that are diagnosed with cancer.

2. Karl says:

Why do Jews live longer than other religions? It’s because they don’t do any manual labour work. They are in the entertainment industry where it requires little to no work and they get rewarded for it. Where as other religions work their hands to the bone and get little to no reward and die, much, much sooner because of the back breaking labour, that they produce for the Jews mind you… That’s why Jews live longer!

3. robert says:

good going Karl! Looks like you’re probably one of the college educated ones (not).

4. Brett says:

This article and the comments are testament to the utter codswallop that is being propagated on the Internet. Jews may indeed live longer owing to several factors, not least of which are their dietary habits. The assumption that Jews don’t attend religious services is bizarre (as being Jewish is largely about being active in the Jewish community, organizations, synagogues and so forth) and unfounded. As for the comments about Jews not getting their hands dirty, that’s simply false.

5. Mel Sherwood says:

Jews live longer because they do not drink very much, smoke even less, and BECAUSE THEY ARE GENETICALLY PREDISPOSED TO LIVE LONGER. Gevalt!
    Furthermore, KARL, my family were farmers in Romania and they got their hands really dirty.

6. Ann says:

Just when I think all is well, someone like Karl posts a turd. Do people like him still exist? I guess so… It is probably a combination of genetics, diet and lifestyle. Don’t fear it emulate it. Just be healthier.

7. Sam Golub says:

It is all based on diet!Jews live longer and have less disease because for generations they observed their dietery laws. Which are the waiting period between eating meat and dairy, usually 6 hours after consuming meat products. Conversly, their is a 2 hour wait for partaking of meat after eating dairy.

PS I agree-Karl needs to get better informed and it is ashame there are still minds like his out there

8. Karl says:

Oh okay, everyone I’m sorry. Sorry that you (apart from Mel who is a Jew and who lies) have all been lied and manipulated by the Jews. Not only are they in the entrtainment industry but they also live longer because they control the banks, the media… basically everything that doesn’t require manual labour. And yes there are still people out there like me, they know and agree with me too it’s just that they don’t have the guts to say it!
    Oh and by the way I am college educated. I’m anti-sexist, anti-racist and anti-homophobic. It just happens that I happen to be anti-semitic too, becuase I have woken up. So before you judge me… Wake up and realise that Jews are lying and manipulating you every single day!

9. Brad says:

your anti-racist and anti-semitic? that makes about as much sense as being manipulated by the jews. What does make sense is there is alot of hatred for jews and christians alike. It stems from the jealous bone of Ismael in the old testament. When man doesnt follow Gods instructions it leads to folly. Of course the arabs will have to get in line with many others who share this hatred. Bitter persecution ooozes from ppl like Karl.

10. Karl says:

I thought Jews were not a race… Brad!

11. Karl says:

Obviously YOU’RE not college educated, Brad!

12. roger smith says:

Jews live longer due to larger noses. More air to the lungs helps promote healthy organs.

13. Paula says:

Interesting…I think its a the food! Not so much the nose. Survival of the fittest not, survival of the chosen–God rewards faithfulness. Karl, you’re in my prayers!

14. Karl says:

Oh G_D, thank-you. (I think)

15. Abdallah says:

Long live the Jews! They are the luminaries of this world.

16. Karl says:

More like the LUNIES of this world! (See what I did there) ;)

17. Danny says:

What is education? It’s just a suppressor teaching you things that are not
    Essential in everyday life they edge you towards a certain perspective your all human chattle lol salves